"Decipher" by Stel Pavlou

Home > Forums > Books Tv And Film > '"Decipher" by Stel Pavlou'
'"Decipher" by Stel Pavlou'
Page: [1] [2]
nelson's user image
nelson
11.05.2003 - 19:52
forum administrator
$#&#$&$# fantastic book. If you like science fiction, that is. I'm almost finished with it; I'll write a full review (well, "full" might be too strong a word...) when I do.

Oh, don't get me wrong, there are a couple of infurating things with the book, too. Still. It's really good.
deathjester's user image
deathjester
12.05.2003 - 09:14
forum administrator
..must ....finish....silly....robert....jordan...saga.....arrrggghhhhhhhhhh
arun's user image
arun
14.05.2003 - 23:06
forum administrator
I have never read a book. What's it like?
richard's user image
richard
15.05.2003 - 11:44
forum administrator
it's like telly, but you have to move your eyes
richard's user image
richard
02.07.2003 - 13:26
forum administrator
Oh...

My...

God...

What is he talking about: "Dark side of the Moon"?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I was seriously impressed with this book until one of the penultimate sentences.

Nelson, I'm sure you'll remember what I'm talking about??
deathjester's user image
deathjester
02.07.2003 - 14:58
forum administrator
o_O
nelson's user image
nelson
04.07.2003 - 07:28
forum administrator
erm, no, not quite, sorry.

But I did get the feeling that he rushed the book at the end.

And although the story is brilliant, the characters never quite feel "real"...
richard's user image
richard
04.07.2003 - 10:01
forum administrator
Ok, well I don't think it will spoil the story for anyone who hasn't read it, but basically, the Sun goes through a super-spasm, ejecting a 'skin' of gas throughout the solar system.

The paragraph goes something like this:

As the gas-cloud hurtles past the moon, the reflected sunlight on the gas causes the dark side of the moon to become lit up. It was a shame there were no scientists around (or any functioning satellites) to observe it, and so the features on the dark side of the moon would remain a mystery.

For someone who obviously is pretty well clued up on Science, how the fuck does he not realise that there is no such thing as the 'dark side of the moon', only the 'far side of the moon', which we don't get to see in day-to-day life unless you're an Apollo astronaut.

The fact that we have had maps of the entire surface of the moon for decades would be a good indication of this, surely??

When I get home, I will transcribe the paragraph properly.

Oh, Nelson, would you like me to mail the book back to you?
richard's user image
richard
04.07.2003 - 10:03
forum administrator
Nels, I actually thought the entire book was rushed. He had so many ideas in the book, it was as if he was rushing to get them all out.

The reason the characters didn't seem real was basically because he had too many ideas and spent all of the time trying to explain them, rather than bother with all that extra stuff (the storyline just seems to get in his way!).

But it was a damned thought provoking book nonetheless.
nelson's user image
nelson
04.07.2003 - 14:02
forum administrator
My thoughts exactly
Page: [1] [2]

You must log in to post messages on this board. If you don't have a username and password, you can register quickly to get them!

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net