Home Log In or Register Forums

Google

'Google'
Page: [1]
nelson's user image
nelson
19.11.2003 - 18:55
forum administrator
I had noticed for a while that Google wasn't indexing our pages except for the home page and the /forums page, but none of the discussions or articles, though.

I've made my own research on Google and I think that the problem is that, first, our links on the forum categories list end without a filename or a trailing slash (ie, "forums/sports_and_health"), and second, that the links for the discussions themselves are in the format of "...discussion.php?parameters" but, unlike the web standard of separating the parameters using "&", we use ";". I think that is confusing Google into not following the links and indexing those pages.

The solution might be this: albeit simple, it can be a bit time consuming. We need to go through the files and replace our method of dealing with parameters with the PHP $_GET array.
richard's user image
richard
19.11.2003 - 22:13
forum administrator
Yeah, I've been using $_GET for a while anyway, as it's much easier, but to be honest never could be arsed to go through our code and make the changes. Another complicating factor is that a number of our conversations have links to other conversations, so all those links would need to be updated.
nelson's user image
nelson
21.11.2003 - 10:07
forum administrator
Actually, the links-to-other-posts should not be a problem at all, since they are just "...discussion.php?id=xxxxx" which is the same format used by $_GET
richard's user image
richard
21.11.2003 - 12:01
forum administrator
But what about the 'start=1' bit - that's normally in the links. Anyway, should be easy to write a batch script to convert them.
nelson's user image
nelson
21.01.2004 - 15:09
forum administrator
Actually, I've just ran our site through a sim spider (e.g. a google simulator) and had a look at the results. The main problem was that our link tags were surrounded with '' instead of "". That was stopping the spider from picking up on the links at all!

Fixed that, and a couple of other minor things (i.e. discussion titles on window title) to make the site more "indexable". Hopefully, this should make us (finally) be indexed on Google!

Fame & fortune, here we go...
:-)
richard's user image
richard
22.01.2004 - 12:41
forum administrator
Oh, I wondered when that title thing had been done, I thought I'd been missing it for months!

Stupid spiders.
Page: [1]

You must log in to post messages on this board. If you don't have a username and password, you can register quickly to get them!

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net