Fancy making a computer game ?

Home > Forums > Games And Fun > 'Fancy making a computer game ?'
'Fancy making a computer game ?'
Page: [1]
deathjester's user image
deathjester
07.10.2003 - 10:28
forum administrator
Ive been spending a lot of time with Homeworld 2.

It's a very, VERY nice game.

It's also been designed to be particularly accessible for modding, and uses .lua scripts for almost everythign except netcode/gamestate/rendering.

This means a bunch of geeks with some spare time can knock out a decent game if they want to.

I want to!

I have so many ideas, from silly to sensible. Honestly thogh, I'd just like to try to make a mod. The game per se' doesnt bother me too much; I'd quite liek to simply work on project with you guys, and have ALWAYS wanted to work with a game.

I don't know much about 3D modeling or texturing, and I've always wanted to get into that. A game mod would be a groovy way to pick it up i think.

The HW2 SDk hasnt been released yet, but there's already a vast knowledgebase in the community for mod-centric tech stuff, and the SDK (we're told) will allow us "unprecidented mod support".

Some incidental ideas for Sci fi space battley scenarios:

Knight's Dawn- Voidhawks and combat wasps :D

Doctor Who- Daleks vs Cybermen

Halo- very underrated yet wonderful sci fi universe (have read the prequel novel to the game- is very earthy/real tech & combat)

Total Annihilation- you thinking what I'm thinking?

Quake 2- remember the first cutscene?

Does anybody fancy a stab at some modding?
richard's user image
richard
07.10.2003 - 12:28
forum administrator
Defo for the Voidhawks/Blackhawks/Hellhawks/Anti-matter combat wasps one!!!!!!!! Hell yeah!

We could have possessed ships with really cool abilities like being able to sequester blackhawks and turn the crews of good old Adamist starships into zombies!!! Woohoo!

Not to mention the Edenist cylinder worlds with their starscrapers etc - would make a VERY interesting battleground :o)))
deathjester's user image
deathjester
07.10.2003 - 14:22
forum administrator
ya huh :)

im REALLY up for it. no deadline pressure, or silly goals to entertain the gaming community and have a vast website and cult following or anythign like that. Just a nice, pleasant collaborative project, revisiting the wonderful universe of Nights Dawn.

My mind is boggling with ideas and unspent creativity.

Does any1 have time to do this? I'll probably draw up a draft concept document anyway :D

Mmmm voidhawk...
richard's user image
richard
07.10.2003 - 15:25
forum administrator
I've never modded before and I guess I'd need a copy of HW2, but basically yeah I'd love to help.

Not sure quite how much time I could dedicate to it, maybe a night a week or something like that only. But in principle sure
deathjester's user image
deathjester
07.10.2003 - 16:43
forum administrator
Thats all i was thinking of.

As for a copy of HW2, that ISNT a problem

Obviously the key I give you to unlock it is blacklisted (so online multiplayer through the match-making service is not available) but other than that, it's 100% operational. I'll post u a copy if u mail ur addy to andy@andyblower.com here (will send cheque for hosting too).

ooo reminds me- can u set up my "andy@burninghorizons.net" addy to forward to "bh@andyblower.com" please? ty :D

Hmm, i think I need to get myself some modelling tutorials... (didnt you 35 auckland av. boys do some at uni? I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff, i barely know what a 'brush' is).
deathjester's user image
deathjester
07.10.2003 - 20:21
forum administrator
Here's the mod community- very collaborative & productive. They've reverse engineered the compiled metadata even though the SDK isn't even available!

People are *actually* editing stuff by going through the opcodes- making basic tools for people to get a feel for the basic guts of HW2 with before the SDK graces us with its prescence.

As for Night's Dawn, I'll have a concept document up over the next few days. (although i just got my DVD writer so I'm sorting through/backing up 280 gigs of data before i really get stuck into this. It'd be just my luck to get my disks wiped by some git / gittish software before I save my critical stuff away...)

Ill be using mindmapper for a lot of the design work. It's fantastic high level design software; you guys will love it im sure. Especially after your first multiuser internet brainstorming session ;)
deathjester's user image
deathjester
08.10.2003 - 00:05
forum administrator
after a hard nights work, ive got to grips with the guts of HW2 and this is the result:

http://www.andyblower.com/nd/hello_world.jpg

apols for the AWFUL image quality, i threw it togethr weith the defualt font/export settings and coudlnt be arsed to spend 3 seconds tweaking them, sorry.

Normally, a squadron has 5 fighters in it, and they engage IN formation; they dont break. They typically exist in Delta formation too.

wish you coudl have seen them in action, awesome.

Progress:

Reverse engineering/extracting metadata- CHECK
Editing metadata- CHECK
Compiling changes- NEG (can't be done until SDK is avail but there is a workaround: flag the launcher to override the complied defautls and use your scripts instead :)
Pickign up silly amounts of random info- CHECK

Extracting ship models and textures- Tomorrows job :)

weee this is so much fun.
deathjester's user image
deathjester
08.10.2003 - 14:49
forum administrator
Night's Dawn HW2 total conversion starts here
richard's user image
richard
09.10.2003 - 18:26
forum administrator
Quote:

"ooo reminds me- can u set up my "andy@burninghorizons.net" addy to forward to "bh@andyblower.com" please? ty :D"

Done!
deathjester's user image
deathjester
09.10.2003 - 18:41
forum administrator
ty :)
Page: [1]

You must log in to post messages on this board. If you don't have a username and password, you can register quickly to get them!

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net