Home Log In or Register Forums

Dumb AOL users...

Home > Forums > Games And Fun > 'Dumb AOL users...'
'Dumb AOL users...'
Page: [1]
arar's user image
arar
10.01.2004 - 19:22
I know this isn't a thread that most of you will put anything on, but I thought I'd put for prosperity each day some of the silliest things I heard or experiences I've had whilst working in the AOL callcentre.

Today's top 3

1) Super disabled woman. Her son rang up for me because he wanted to set up AOL on the new laptop for his gran because she was so disabled, the internet was the only way she could communicate with the outside world. However, I was a little surprised when her son told me that she was signed up with (on contract) :

Freeserve narrowband, freeserve broadband, btopen plan and aol narrowband. Apparently she kept getting free cds, installing, filling in pay details and never cancelled the software! She doesn't even have broadband in her house!

2) Crazy woman and bloke. Normal sounding woman rang up, and explained to me that she was talking on behalf of her man because he was easily confused and I would only frighten him with technical spiel. However, the main problem was that it seemed someone was accessing his account, using his screen name and password. So, fairly standard, I had to speak to him to validate him, and reset his passwords. He was a perfectly normal sounding guy! Only the billed person has this level of access. However, once the woman was back onto the phone, she tried every which (subtle) way to get me to tell her the passwords I had just given the man!

Last one on next message.
arar's user image
arar
10.01.2004 - 19:26
I love old women. Often. However, 12 minutes before the end of the shift, I was chatting to a wonderful old dear who had managed to arrange, set up, build and install her entire computer by herself. The main problem, however, was that she had upgraded to AOL 8.0 and wanted to rewind. This is ok with AOL because it doesn't actually wipe over old software, it simply performs a fresh installation each time.
She couldn't uninstall a program? I began to wonder how much of her pc she had built when I asked her to describe to me the items in the add/remove progs list, and she was describing things such as "Windows Mega Player", and attempting to uninstall WinWorks 8.0 instead of AOL 8.0. Anyway, as I said, each installation puts a new copy on the computer, and when she finally did go to uninstall, we found over nine installations of AOL!!!

More soon, unless you don't want me to.
nelson's user image
nelson
15.01.2004 - 10:21
forum administrator
Oh please do.

In our work we have to ring up AOL call centre every now and again. Bloddy waste of time... it's not only the users who are dumb.
deathjester's user image
deathjester
15.01.2004 - 13:09
forum administrator
'Dumb AOL users'

and the winner for this weeks near-tautology award goes to....
online_again's user image
online_again
15.01.2004 - 15:14
I dunno. My favourite, although not related to AOL only, is "Hello, I'm calling regard my bill; is this the internet?"
arar's user image
arar
15.01.2004 - 18:22
Heheh apparently an agent was fired after posting funny stories about users on a website, so thankfully I've kept this all rather anonymous =)
nelson's user image
nelson
16.01.2004 - 09:26
forum administrator
You guys are called "agents", uh?

I always liked title inflation.
deathjester's user image
deathjester
16.01.2004 - 12:38
forum administrator
lol aye, special agent Joe 'just puttign you thru to second line support' Bloggs
nelson gets 3 thousand points

riggie my cuddly minx- thats not a tuatology. you lose four million points

craig has minus <java.lang.outOfMemoryException> points
arar's user image
arar
16.01.2004 - 17:23
lol yeah we are agents because we "act of our own accord". I'm sure my african friend sizwale, who has to call himself terry for the purposes of "sounding english", feels like hes acting of his own accord...
arun's user image
arun
16.01.2004 - 19:27
forum administrator
He could sue them for that.
No-one has the right to change someones name.
Page: [1]

You must log in to post messages on this board. If you don't have a username and password, you can register quickly to get them!

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net