Home Log In or Register Forums

Foreigner needing help to write decent English!

Home > Forums > General Discussions > 'Foreigner needing help to write decent English!'
'Foreigner needing help to write decent English!'
Page: [1] [2]
online_again's user image
online_again
01.04.2003 - 14:58

Yeah, ok, typing my dissertation up. And I know it is not good language to use "I think" og "I mean" or wording yourself that way.
But how do you phrase it when referring to own research, when you can't get away from using "I" ??
deathjester's user image
deathjester
01.04.2003 - 18:44
forum administrator
Without being silly about it my english standard is... highly certified if u want me to proof read it riggies :)

To answer ur question directly, maybe you can squeeze these constructs in (im shooting blind here not much to go on)

I have concluded...
My conclusions are...
The conclusion I have reached...
I have derived...
My derivations are...
I have deduced...
My deductions are...
I have found...
My findings are...
The data is indicative of...
The results show..

You forgein types who do English exams are to be respected- you wouldtn catch me doign an IT exam in norweigan! Wp.
deathjester's user image
deathjester
01.04.2003 - 18:52
forum administrator
My safety tip to avoid getting trapped into the 'I think' rut, is to ...think (rofl, u can see the humour here im sure)... about your own conclusions and opinions as seperate objects from yourself, sort of liek a 3rd party.

Erm thast not very clear sorry.

Just try to have a conceptual distance between YOU and YOUR RESEARCH in your head as you write, ie. THE research and YOU.

Hope this helps rather than confuses!
richard's user image
richard
01.04.2003 - 19:16
forum administrator
I was told to write using these phrases:

The research has shown...
It was found that...
The conclusion of which was...

The project should be written from the 3rd person and should not include any references to yourself!

If you're really stuck, write the sentences you're stuck on and will try and convert it for you!
online_again
02.04.2003 - 10:14
Thanks.
The really stuck bit would be to mention the fact that *I* actually carried out the research. I mean, here I have been very neutral (not really) about the theorists. Jumping in with "and then I did this, and the research proved that..." ... it's the *I* again! Arg!

DJ: My IT exam in Norwegian was very much programming, actually. They put you in front of a screen for five hours, ask you to program some stuff and see how far you've gotten at the end of the time.
:p

As for proof reading, I would actually be very happy if you wanted to do that, but 9000 words? I don't really expect anyone to be interested in reading about Corporate Social Responsibility for just the fun of it...
online_again
02.04.2003 - 10:24
Oh, and another thing: do any of you know how to reference stuff from internal sources? Here I am making good use of my NGO contacts, just to realise that some of the info is internal stuff...
richard's user image
richard
02.04.2003 - 15:47
forum administrator
Quote:

"and then I did this, and the research proved that..."

Would probably be best replaced like so:

"for this project, research was done which proved that..."

Would be quite happy to proof read for you, it will give me something to do on the train!!
online_again
02.04.2003 - 18:58
8-9000 words? You sure?

Where are you going anyway? (Ended up just leaving that specific bit of research out... already way past the word limit :p )
richard's user image
richard
02.04.2003 - 21:32
forum administrator
Yeah, just about what I wrote for my final project, so I don't mind.

Home!! (well, to and from work...)
online_again
03.04.2003 - 15:10

So what's your e-mail address? (I've got like one more thing I'd like to add to it, and then I'll send it. Probably during tomorrow)
Page: [1] [2]

This discussion is now closed and you cannot add to it.

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net