Nice guys finish last

Home > Forums > General Discussions > 'Nice guys finish last'
'Nice guys finish last'
Page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]
arar's user image
arar
22.05.2003 - 14:36
"Nice guys finish last".

An interesting sentence. If I could work out exactly what was meant by "nice", I could decide whether or not it is true.

If "nice" is taken to mean kind, considerate, caring, nurturing, a person with values - then every dad in the country (well some of them at least) could be said to be a loser. Which I don't think is true.

I think that "nice" in this context refers to timid, afraid, lazy, or whatever it is that makes a guy stick in a situation even when he is unhappy. Because at the end of the day, its "easier" to be the nice guy. But who is that person underneath the "nice"? I think this is a closer definition to "nice".

I have only posted this because I am desperately trying to learn a very valuable lesson from life (and last night), I dunno something to do with making your own opportunities in life, perhaps something to do with living life to the full no matter what happens. Because I don't want my response to this question to be - become an asshole. I don't think that will help.

Thank you for listening to my ravings. I hope it has been as therapeutic for you as it has been for me.
richard's user image
richard
22.05.2003 - 17:16
forum administrator
I think the expression is based around the phenomenon that women in general don't go for the guys who will be kind to them and treat them with respect, rather it seems that they go for the kind of guy whose affection they would really have to work hard to get.

Basically, if you stand a group of guys in a line, the chances are that the first ones picked don't necessarily have the best personality/disposition in the world. Hence this is why Nice Guys Finish Last.

The thing is, it's based around stereotypes which are fine in a statistical sense, but they very rarely apply to real life. I'd like to think I'm a nice guy and I certainly like to think I've got what I want out of a girlfriend...
nelson's user image
nelson
26.05.2003 - 13:57
forum administrator
I believe your second definition of "nice" kind of contradicts the concept.

The point being, whatever the situation, if you finish last because you are nice, then you should ask yourself if the situation itself is a correct one.

I.e. you "finish last" in business if you are "nice" to other people - maybe true, but if so, then the problem is with the way businesses operate!
online_again's user image
online_again
26.05.2003 - 20:42
Nice. Considerate. Not out to use you. I think they genereally mean something like that. But then again, English is not my best language.
deathjester's user image
deathjester
06.06.2003 - 11:46
forum administrator
nice guys finish last.

hmmm, sounds liek standard sour grapes to me.

over-analysing ppl stop it b4 u burst an artery
arar's user image
arar
06.06.2003 - 14:32
Am ok as I got some recently. hoo yeah...
online_again
06.06.2003 - 14:58
Overanalysis never lead to anything. Except for confusion and general paranoia.
arar's user image
arar
09.06.2003 - 15:31
And I'm seeing her again on the 21st...
nelson's user image
nelson
09.06.2003 - 20:35
forum administrator
Poor slug.
online_again
09.06.2003 - 20:38
"Getting some"? No offence, but you are in Wales...
Page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

This discussion is now closed and you cannot add to it.

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net