Home > Forums > General Discussions > 'Entrapping new readership'
'Entrapping new readership'
Page: [1]
deathjester's user image
deathjester
24.06.2004 - 00:31
forum administrator
You guys still mentioning BH to ppl?

I've got a few ppl reading, but not posting. I think we're comming across as too cliquey. I have no suggestions on how to deal with that tho..
richard's user image
richard
24.06.2004 - 09:06
forum administrator
Yeah, it's a problem, I admit, but also I like it being small and personal.

I'd be more than happy for Ash and the rest of the crew to join though. Maybe not nbk though, DJ already has a public enemy #1 on this forum...
nelson's user image
nelson
24.06.2004 - 11:28
forum administrator
It will only stop being cliquey when more people post... <sigh>

I guess it would become more popular if it were more thematic, or if we actually posted questions/answers, although given the "regulars", that would be mostly IT stuff. Which I think it's ok, although I wouldn't want to see this turned into yet-another-geek-haven.

Then again, maybe we can become more popular than Slashdot... ;-)

Seriously though, without Google indexing our forums it will be hard. And it doesn't index them because of the long "id" parameters on the URL... I think the underlying code would need a good shake up. (Side note: PHP 5 implements a no-db db system.)
richard's user image
richard
24.06.2004 - 12:14
forum administrator
In answer to your side note: we can use ODBC databases now...
nelson's user image
nelson
24.06.2004 - 15:39
forum administrator
Rich, I'd much prefer the sqlite that comes with PHP5 - it's portable.

Bleurgh, ODBC.
Bleurgh.
richard's user image
richard
24.06.2004 - 17:40
forum administrator
Ooohhh.. sounds goood..

This site needs a rewrite anyway, I found a bit of a bug in my security process :o(. Basically if you get your password slightly wrong, very occasionally it will generate the same pseudo-password and allow you to log in successfully. I have a fix, but unfortunately it will mean sending everyone out new passwords and I cba to do that atm.
city_break's user image
city_break
25.06.2004 - 21:55
If you want people to join I think the forums need more activity and I think that the contents or articles or whatever you prefer to call them,needs more frequent updating.
Page: [1]

You must log in to post messages on this board. If you don't have a username and password, you can register quickly to get them!

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net