Home Log In or Register Forums

No IP!

'No IP!'
Page: [1]
nelson's user image
nelson
26.07.2003 - 09:42
forum administrator
Everyone, go and grab yourselves a no-ip! It's really cool, even if you have almost-always-on connections.

Just stroll to no-ip.com, register (no-fuss), download their tiny client (small & no-fuss), install it and set it up to auto-start with Windows. If your IP ever changes, it will automatically upload it to the no-ip server and match it within a minute or so with the hostname you choose when you register.

So, my PC's "permanent" DNS is:

nelsonmenezes.no-ip.com

They have loads of other domains to choose from too, like yourhostname.servemp3.com

Anyhow, it's quite fun to enable Terminal Services on Windows XP and then connect from work to your no-ip and bingo - you have your desktop!

Just make sure you get a half-decent firewall when you have a permanent IP...
;-)

Rich, this is quite cool for your little chat app, and I think you don't even need to update it for it to work...
richard's user image
richard
26.07.2003 - 10:21
forum administrator
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I need! The only thing is that since my net connection is now permanently on, I pretty much have a static IP anyway. (Because I'm using the wireless router attached directly to the modem, the modem never disconnects)

Actually, that might be a problem too, because my PC doesn't actually have an 'external IP', just 192.168.0.2, so I don't know whether the program would try and register this IP or the one of my modem??
richard's user image
richard
26.07.2003 - 10:33
forum administrator
Ok, it works fine!

Not sure how my firewall will handle the 'chat' traffic though, may have to enable the port or something.

all hail teppicymon.no-ip.com!
nelson's user image
nelson
26.07.2003 - 10:37
forum administrator
Well, I can resolve the address but I can't ping it, although it's probably just your firewall absorbing the Ping requests.

You know what ports the chat program uses; just open those for it to work!

Oh, and you might want to run the chat server... ehehehe
richard's user image
richard
26.07.2003 - 11:51
forum administrator
:o) Yeah my firewall blocks pings, sorry about that...

I have to go out now, so I will test the chat program with you another time!

See ya
deathjester's user image
deathjester
27.07.2003 - 14:49
forum administrator
turn the pings back on rich- the scanners ppl use these days actively hunt for nodes not respodnign to icmp cos they got somethign to hide...
Page: [1]

You must log in to post messages on this board. If you don't have a username and password, you can register quickly to get them!

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net