Which FTP Server

Home > Forums > It And Computing > 'Which FTP Server'
'Which FTP Server'
Page: [1]
richard's user image
richard
13.08.2003 - 19:42
forum administrator
Andy, what would you recommend for me to set up a nice secure FTP server?

Using the wonderful thing that is no-ip.com, I have at least got a static IP address now (well, sort of) so I would like to put it to good use.

Alternatively and probably MUCH more useful would be an FTP->HTTP utility so that I could access FTP through work (I don't get FTP access, only HTTP), so does anyone know if a good one exists?

I'm reluctant to write one in PHP, as it would be a bit naff (I tried before and got it to blindly upload files to the BH server, but it's pretty pants tbh).

That way, I'd just have to run a web-server on the PC. Would be handy if it had SSL too!!
deathjester's user image
deathjester
15.08.2003 - 10:13
forum administrator
well i use a free app called 'Guild FTP'.

its current version doesn't support HTTP transfers (and certainly offers no service bound to listen for requests on the HTTP port).

not really sure what u r going to do about that.

the app itself is solid. im on v0.44 and still haven't found a single reason to spend the 30 minutes upgrading to 0.999 or whatever it's up to these days.
deathjester's user image
deathjester
15.08.2003 - 10:17
forum administrator
now i think about it-

we actualyl wrote a littel port jiggler to get us thru clients firewalls without screwing up their administration.

port 21 (ftp) >> jiggler (any known port x) >> internet >> jiggler (any known port x) >> port 21 on the other PC.

not sure how far harry got with it, but i saw the proof of concept code working about 3 months ago. i shall ask.
nelson's user image
nelson
19.08.2003 - 08:39
forum administrator
Rich, IE has some primitive FTP client capabilities; I don't know if this would be enough for you (or if the problem is that your work blocks all FTP traffic, which would be pants).
deathjester's user image
deathjester
19.08.2003 - 11:28
forum administrator
"
Alternatively and probably MUCH more useful would be an FTP->HTTP utility so that I could access FTP through work (I don't get FTP access, only HTTP), so does anyone know if a good one exists?

"

nelson nelson, so appears after all this time you dont read posts properly...

OFF WITH HIS NUTS!

(ric, forgot about jiggler source will ask NOW)
deathjester's user image
deathjester
21.08.2003 - 09:51
forum administrator
Harry aint letting u see it :/
richard's user image
richard
21.08.2003 - 19:17
forum administrator
Aaaaaw!!!!!! I was looking forward to that too :o(
Page: [1]

You must log in to post messages on this board. If you don't have a username and password, you can register quickly to get them!

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net