Firewalling

Home > Forums > It And Computing > 'Firewalling'
'Firewalling'
Page: [1] [2]
nelson's user image
nelson
29.10.2003 - 21:40
forum administrator
Ok, so I can't find where's the thread about firewalls; I'm sure that at some point someone (Rich?) asked about a good Windows firewall.

I suggested Agnitum Outpost.

I'm sorry.

It's crap.

It has the best model for setting up rules/interfacing with the thing, it's easy to use, it has all the features, and it looks good - but it doesn't work. It blocks stuff, but then it also blocks stuff u tell it not to, it craps itself with ICS, it's buggy, its log file is constantly growing (no "maximum size"!?!) and I just happened to look at its memory consumption - 160MB?! No wonder the PC felt a bit like a 486...

So, sorry about the rant; after much fighting I now am happily running Sygate Personal Firewall Pro, and although it was a bit of a pain it ass to configure, it actually seems to work. I threw all I could at it and it actually performed as intended. And its memory consumption is only a fraction of Outpost. So for now I'm recomending this. Until it breaks.

:-)
arun's user image
arun
29.10.2003 - 21:45
forum administrator
I've heard that's a good one. It was meeeeeeeeee who was asking. Still haven't got one. Just using XP's (apparently poor) offering.
richard's user image
richard
30.10.2003 - 14:05
forum administrator
I was interested too, because at the minute, I'm relying only on my router's SPI firewall - not too sure how good it is, but at the end of the day, I don't particularly want to run all these programs on all my PCs (ok PC + Laptop) just so that I can be safe from the wilderness of the outside world.
richard's user image
richard
03.11.2003 - 13:19
forum administrator
The INQUIRER guide to protecting your PC's butt is here!

Quite useful I guess, although nothing that a good firewall shouldn't prevent...
nelson's user image
nelson
03.11.2003 - 15:18
forum administrator
Uhmn, if you use Internet connection sharing you only need to run the firewall in one of the PCs (the gateway).
nelson's user image
nelson
03.11.2003 - 15:23
forum administrator
To test your firewall, here's a good site:

>click<

Scroll to "hot spots" and click "Shields Up!"
richard's user image
richard
03.11.2003 - 15:24
forum administrator
Yes, but I don't have a gateway, the router is connected to the internet and the PCs get onto the internet from that.

Like so:
            Internet
|
|
ADSL Modem
|
Wireless Router
~ ~
~ ~
PC Laptop

richard's user image
richard
03.11.2003 - 15:25
forum administrator
...so effectively if the firewall on my router is pants (although no-one has said as much, I think it might be), I need to run firewalls on both machines.
nelson's user image
nelson
03.11.2003 - 15:28
forum administrator
Yepply-do.

Although it probably isn't pants. You'll know if your PC melts. Does it at least have a configuration interface?
richard's user image
richard
03.11.2003 - 15:33
forum administrator
Yeah, it does. Not sure how much you can configure though...
Page: [1] [2]

You must log in to post messages on this board. If you don't have a username and password, you can register quickly to get them!

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net