Home Log In or Register Forums

Adware, spyware, who gives a crap - get it off!!

Home > Forums > It And Computing > 'Adware, spyware, who gives a crap - get it off!!'
'Adware, spyware, who gives a crap - get it off!!'
Page: [1] [2]
arar's user image
arar
11.01.2004 - 22:03
Ok people, u all have your suggestions - now how do deal with adware/spyware on my computer?! Its driving me nuts. I just clicked to log into BH and it launched a seperate window with advertising. Now that just isn't right.

I've tried Spyhunter, which would tell me of adware but wouldn't remove it, adaware which would find it and "isolate it" as long as I kept adaware running each time I booted up, I tried rich's suggestion blaster, which only managed to find three such programs on my pc. And wouldn't remove them.

Money making sons of bitches!!! Get this crap off my computer, with a chisel if necessary! And no... I don't want to reinstall 12G worth of items onto my computer from scratch including windows...
arar's user image
arar
11.01.2004 - 22:05
... just out of interest could you tell me what utilities come built into windows? I can remember msconfig and sysedit but not sure what else. Thanks.
richard's user image
richard
12.01.2004 - 09:55
forum administrator
regedit is another useful one... try using it to browse to here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and

HKEY_USERS\*\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Anything in there will automatically boot up when you load windows. If there's any links to the spyware programs, try removing them.

Do you not have a partition on your hard-drive? All your O/S stuff should be on C: and all your personal data/mp3's should be on D: or higher. If you haven't partitioned it, then you should get partition magic, partition it, then you can safely format C: without losing any of your critical data.

Using single partitions is just sheer madness
arar's user image
arar
12.01.2004 - 15:22
Theres wisdom in these here words! I will see if I can get a copy of partition magic, because I am seriously thinking reinstall now.

Booted up my computer today, and some software changed the screen resolution to 800x600!!!!

Regedit sounds like fun, and something I should be telling my AOL members about... =p
arar's user image
arar
12.01.2004 - 15:30
Wow theres some weird stuff in here. By the way,

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?filter=ccApp&count=&type= is a VERY useful link to find out what the hell all of those things are that are starting up, whether u should delete them and what the consequences might be. Oh, and viruses that might try to abuise them.
arar's user image
arar
12.01.2004 - 15:48
ok removed most of the unrecognised stuff from registry... including two spyware programs.
nelson's user image
nelson
12.01.2004 - 16:08
forum administrator
Get AdAware. Install and run once (don't bother with the "daemons" that continuously monitor for spyware). Update it and run every now and again. It's the best.
nelson's user image
nelson
12.01.2004 - 16:17
forum administrator
Also, you must install the Google Toolbar. It's tremendously useful ("search only on this site"... "highlight my search terms"...) and it also has a really, really good pop-up blocker.
arar's user image
arar
12.01.2004 - 17:51
Hmm I am using adaware at the moment - but does it actually remove the software? Or does it isolate the problems, so they don't run on boot-up? Am unsure. Going to probably do a full install anyway. Just I want to check which programs etc I need to keep, and maybe the most efficient way to do a full reinstall. And I want to look up partitioning too.
arar's user image
arar
13.01.2004 - 15:14
Thanks for the google thing nels - works a charm.
Page: [1] [2]

You must log in to post messages on this board. If you don't have a username and password, you can register quickly to get them!

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net