Home Log In or Register Forums

Mozilla Firefox

Home > Forums > It And Computing > 'Mozilla Firefox'
'Mozilla Firefox'
Page: [1] [2] [3]
arar's user image
arar
09.02.2004 - 19:18
Running it now - and it is unbelievably fast and efficient!! Everything renders perfectly!!
nelson's user image
nelson
09.02.2004 - 19:40
forum administrator
Yipie. Another non-standards-compliant browser. Wasn't that thing called Firebird?
arar's user image
arar
09.02.2004 - 19:52
Yup, but now its called firefox. And it UTTERLY KICKS IEs ass!!!!

Never seen such a stable, fast and good looking browser. And it is standards compliant, as opposed to standards defining. No problems with it yet (give me a couple of days to see if it really can fly!)
arar's user image
arar
09.02.2004 - 20:05
oh, just had my first crash of it
arun's user image
arun
09.02.2004 - 22:53
forum administrator
Been using Firebird for months.
Firefox is the new name.
It is an incredibly fast browser.
Tabbed browsing is good too.
Still at 0.8 Beta stage.
Never crashed.
That's just your custom binaries Craig!!
arar's user image
arar
10.02.2004 - 01:07
Don't actually know how to use the tabbed browsing - every new page opens a new browser.
richard's user image
richard
10.02.2004 - 11:42
forum administrator
Yeah, I really liked the tabbed browsing thing, but I reverted to IE for some I-can't-remember-what reason.

The standards thing of which Nelson speaks is a major problem though, basically the team I'm working for now won't bother to write the website which will work around mozilla's different standards compared to IE's. For less than 1% of people who hit the site without IE, it's not considered worth the time.

Weren't standards created for a reason? (Btw I'm not advocating that IE adheres to all the standards either, as I'm sure it doesn't)
nelson's user image
nelson
10.02.2004 - 13:34
forum administrator
There's no single browser that really adheres to standards properly... (have a look here) So you either have to code a million different quirky things or just go with 95% of your audience.
arar's user image
arar
10.02.2004 - 16:34
Weird - because Firefox has been designed to follow the standards exactly. Ie if it doesn't view properly in firefox, it hasn't been written properly, and that includes bizarrre ie CSS things as well. Firefox is designed to exactly match the WC3s standards, as opposed to ie which has a whole ton of weird things going on. If you code sloppily, ie lets you go on, firefox will pick you up on it.
And I am a coding purist. Get it right!
nelson's user image
nelson
10.02.2004 - 17:16
forum administrator
Don't be a tosser. How many real-life, useful websites out there just plainly won't work on your browser because it adheres to standards so closely that it will discard any HTML that isn't even properly indented?

Yes, I prefer good, standards compliant code. But if you think that 95% of web users will drop "no-errors-popping-up IE" for "you-have-an-error-on-line-#8623 Firefox", you've been out of touch with reality for too long.

If the ppl at Mozilla have any intention of making a browser that will actually compete with IE, they need to first, emulate IE's work with its own quirks. When Firefox can load my travel agent/bank/supermarket/music reseller/etc's pages and work properly *then* it can implement the standards-compliancy bit on top of that.

Sorry, just being realistic.
Page: [1] [2] [3]

You must log in to post messages on this board. If you don't have a username and password, you can register quickly to get them!

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net