nelson
25.03.2004 - 07:43
forum administrator
...on its way out!

Sun's big mistake.
arar's user image
arar
26.03.2004 - 11:21
I figured its better than just handing out Java, including its entire security itinery, to the masses...

Whats the point of setting Java as the most secure language in the world, if we then tell everyone how to hack it? Also, I like the idea that Java is produced by a single set of developers, even if it doesn't encourage competitiveness and open-sourcedness - at least it should be internall consistent, and isn't being driven by "the IBM version of Java", "the Sun version of Java", "The microsoft version of c# c++ J j# Visual J++" and a billion other incarnations.
nelson's user image
nelson
26.03.2004 - 15:11
forum administrator
There are a lot of ways to keep things tied and working well. Not only could Sun open-source Java, it could also keep a hold of how the language evolves. It could steward Java. Like Linus Trovalds does with the Linux kernel, or Zend with PHP, or OpenOffice.com with OppenOffice...

As for security, having the code out in the open is much better - it allows peer review. With such a big user base as Java has, it would be much easier to fix any security problems (which Java does have, every now and again.

No, it's a bad strategic move. Especially with the likes of more advanced languages (C#.NET), Java needed the boost of community development.
arar's user image
arar
26.03.2004 - 16:16
True, as a whole, I do like the idea of being able to scrutinize the code and check its all working well. But I know that if my business was based on a product which I spent a great deal of time and energy making, just to give it all away would be kinda stupid. Thats the kinda job pubic organisations do.
richard's user image
richard
26.03.2004 - 17:18
forum administrator
But Sun would still make plenty of money by being consultants for companies etc, since they would be the experts. Then again, have you ever paid for Java? You dont have to pay for it I think, even corporations, but they do pay for the support and companies would still do that; why spend ages training someone up on how Java's innards works when you could just pay Sun to fix it?

I think Nelly is right, linux is a much more secure operating system just because it's had millions of eyes (maybe exxageration?) looking at the code and fixing things as they find them.
arar's user image
arar
26.03.2004 - 17:55
Very true sir... but consider - Linux with Java!!

But then Sun would have to abandon Solaris... like thats ever gonna happen...

Still... have Microsoft made all their code open source? I'd be more interested in that (I really have no life...)
richard's user image
richard
26.03.2004 - 18:03
forum administrator
Are you joking? There was a source code leak the other day and M$ was very pissed about it :)
arar's user image
arar
26.03.2004 - 18:18
Hmm... what I meant is a proper release, and open-source. But no-one makes a big deal about that...
richard's user image
richard
26.03.2004 - 18:20
forum administrator
The words foot and shot come to mind.

They release source code, 10 million bugs get found. 29 million new virii get written.
nelson's user image
nelson
26.03.2004 - 19:30
forum administrator
At first, human civilisation will prosper.

At some point it will enter decline, and eventually the Earth will be engulfed by a dieing sun.

Billions of years will pass.

Aliens will change the fabric of time and space.

Trillions of year will pass.

The last stars will go faint. Most matter will be sucked down black holes or diffuse into subatomic particles.

Trillions of trillions of years will pass.

There's nothing left.

Then, only then will Microsoft consider to open-source Windows.
Page: [1] [2] [3]

You must log in to post messages on this board. If you don't have a username and password, you can register quickly to get them!

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net