Damn graphics card!

Home > Forums > It And Computing > 'Damn graphics card!'
'Damn graphics card!'
Page: [1] [2]
richard's user image
richard
04.07.2004 - 12:17
forum administrator
I'm having a major problem with my graphics card/monitor/driver thing, in that when I try and play any DirectX game, the monitor goes into power down mode and the computer refuses to respond to anything other than the 'reset' button.

I'm sure it's because I was fucking around with the drivers because of an issue I was having with Java making my screen go anti-aliased. I tried loading the old drivers and it didn't fix it and ever since it's gone to shit.

I'm thinking reinstall, but if anyone has heard of this problem before, any suggestions?
nelson's user image
nelson
04.07.2004 - 13:56
forum administrator
must... not... make... linux... joke...

Erm... stupid thing, DirectX. Once screwed up it's a pain in the arse to fix - can't uninstall, can't do anything...

Supposing that you have an nVidia card, try going into the advanced part of configuring the opengl/direct3d/whatever-it-is and find the panel that lets you override the refresh rates. Override them with something sensible.

If it's not that, you're screwed. Install Linux.
richard's user image
richard
04.07.2004 - 14:25
forum administrator
I'm installing SuSE as we speak. On a virtual PC, I might add, but hey! :)

Just testing the override now...
richard's user image
richard
04.07.2004 - 14:29
forum administrator
Didn't work.

format c: /u
arar's user image
arar
04.07.2004 - 14:57
So how many games does Linux have? =)
nelson's user image
nelson
04.07.2004 - 15:32
forum administrator
As many as you want...

Actually, there's been a few official dual win/linux releases. Here's a very popular (and free!) one: >click<

Yes, there's more games for Windows (actually, that should be read "yes, there's a few games that still don't run well under Wine"). But do you still remember when Win95 came out and everyone was mocking it as a games platform?
nelson's user image
nelson
04.07.2004 - 15:37
forum administrator
Rich: I'm pretty sure it has something to do with your refresh rate/resolution on Direct3D. Your monitor is probably not going into power save mode; it's probably prevent itself from exploding at a refresh rate it doesn't support. Do games work as usual (keyboard response/sound), or does the PC actually crash and lock up?
richard's user image
richard
04.07.2004 - 21:14
forum administrator
Well I'm on Craig's PC at the moment. My computer is well and truly up shit creek!

I reinstalled windows and all of my drive letters were screwed up and somehow my C: drive became my E: drive and I still can't get it back to normal.

I've spent the afternoon burning all my stuff to DVDs so that I can completely unpartition the drive and start from fresh.

Here goes nothing! :[
arar's user image
arar
04.07.2004 - 21:16
Oh BTW Rich meant to say that the games locked up the system completely.
nelson's user image
nelson
04.07.2004 - 22:07
forum administrator
Bugger.

Oh well, if you're still having trouble, Rich, I suggest that you load the install CD of Mandrake up to the point where it asks you about partitioning (I think you have to be in advanced mode or something). Then play at your heart's content (although I suggest less partitions than you had - make your life easier).

Mandrake's partitioning tool is very, very good. You can then abort the install after it's done.
Page: [1] [2]

You must log in to post messages on this board. If you don't have a username and password, you can register quickly to get them!

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net