What do you think...

Home > Forums > Politics And Current Affairs > 'What do you think...'
'What do you think...'
Page: [1] [2]
nelson's user image
nelson
15.07.2003 - 14:51
forum administrator
..are the odds of this Labour government getting elected again? (let alone being ejected from thir offices?)

Is the argument that you must lie to your voters to "get things done" acceptable now? (Yes, I *have* heard this type of argument).

And if someone mentions the words "there's no alternative", I'll get my whip out...
deathjester's user image
deathjester
15.07.2003 - 15:31
forum administrator
erm.

i think the reality is that the governemtn SHOULD make decisions that the masses arent qualified to make policy on.

disadvantage of this of course is the massive potential for corruption.

is ther any choice betwen labour/tory/lidem ?

erm

no
richard's user image
richard
15.07.2003 - 16:12
forum administrator
/waits for the whip-crack...

I won't vote for them. I don't trust a man with that many teeth who always smiles
arun's user image
arun
15.07.2003 - 21:35
forum administrator
"Arun Holmes - Prime Minister"

Sounds quite good!
deathjester's user image
deathjester
16.07.2003 - 10:06
forum administrator
this is rather disturbing- i have no idea who ill vote for...

i might actually look at the local candidates and pick one for their merits rather than their badge.

why do i think this is a bad idea....
nelson's user image
nelson
16.07.2003 - 18:34
forum administrator
That might actually be a very clever thing to do.

DJ - governants should NOT make decisions that the masses are not qualified for - that's the concept of a dictatorship. Firstly, the masses NEED to be qualified to make decisions (there's a big task...) and governants SHOULD evaluate the opinion of the masses and, within their ideology/moral beliefs/political platform, do what they think is most compatible.

Of course, that biggest task is still the "masses need to be qualified" stuff, which no (present) governant seems in a hurry to fix...
deathjester's user image
deathjester
17.07.2003 - 00:23
forum administrator
the herd is a very slow moving, selfishly motivated, unintelligent mass with no forsight.

no, i do not think for one second it is qualified to make ceertain decisions, nor has it the potential to be.

the basic social structure of humans is a 'pack'. there is a heirarchy and there is most definitely a higher degree of dictatorship to the lower-ranked members by the higher-ranked members.

this is sound from a survival point of view.

the idea that you can a) qualify the masses or b) that they even have the potnetial to be is utopian and non-achievable.

i think the reality is that we need an element of dictatorship.

and anyway- if the masses govern, then they inherently dictate :)
nelson's user image
nelson
17.07.2003 - 12:14
forum administrator
But DJ, it that's how things get organised, from the governants point of view, you're only part of the pack...

*you* know that you're an intelligent guy who could form opinions, but you're just part of the pack.

See the unfairness?

Qualifying the masses is not at all impossible. Look at Sweden, Norway, Finland... yes, they have their share of stupid people, but I'd say their masses are quite qualified to make political decisions...
deathjester's user image
deathjester
17.07.2003 - 14:18
forum administrator
i hoenstly know nohtign about those quasi-germans.

i coudltn comment, except to say that as far as i know they havent invented anythiogn or progress the human race, cept for a few groovy coffee mugs.

must be somthign to do with the excellent level of arbitrary leadership.

:D

(rigmor please take ur free shot before the weekend cos i wont be around after that foir a fewe days)
nelson's user image
nelson
17.07.2003 - 21:17
forum administrator
Norway has come up with the paper clip and the cheese cutter...

Finland makes decent mobile phones.

So does Sweden, and their cars and furniture are quite good too.

More interestingly, their health systems actually work.
Page: [1] [2]

You must log in to post messages on this board. If you don't have a username and password, you can register quickly to get them!

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net