'Capitalism- The new zeal ?'
Page: [1] [2] [3]
deathjester's user image
deathjester
04.03.2003 - 14:56
forum administrator
OoOoOOo

Please tell me what u think of the following assertion:

"The prominent western belief systems of old, ie. christianty and its subsets, have been replaced with capitalism to provide social values and purpose."

No, I'm not joking. I'm rather worried.
online_again's user image
online_again
04.03.2003 - 16:03

I think it all hangs together with apathy. Because the non-apathetic people you find tends to read other newspapers than the sun, and therefore also get different values.

or did I not understand your point?
richard's user image
richard
04.03.2003 - 16:56
forum administrator
I'd love to Sun-bash here, but I won't since I think you misunderstood the question...

How does 'greed' provide social values?!

That sounds like it was written by a corporate person, as they have instilled this need to acquire posessions into the general public, as it makes them lots and lots of money.

It sickens me that corporations treat the public like farmstock, i.e. we're all here just to produce lots of money for them by making us think that we need stuff we really don't.
online_again
06.03.2003 - 18:36
ok. you misunderstood my point. tbh I am to hungry to elaborate now, so will do that later.
richard's user image
richard
06.03.2003 - 19:12
forum administrator
I await your elaborations :o)
deathjester's user image
deathjester
07.03.2003 - 10:14
forum administrator
i await the FOOODDD.

Rigmor! Make me some pie!
online_again
07.03.2003 - 10:42
Ok attempt nr 2:

Captialism DOES promote greed, but that does not justify greed as a social value. The capitalist system has always been there: I want something, therefore I trade something I have to get it.

The point I was trying to make is that greed only provide social values for those people who has lost the ability to think and feel for themselves. You know, all the adverts on TV and in magazines promoting useless articles as a "must-buy". These I think are the same people who would give away all their properties to the King in old days because they were told to. Apathetic, not thinking much for themselves... obviously if they are told that materialism is good they will believe it.

That is a large part of the population, but old values has not really vanished because of it. The only reason they can afford to buy so many things is because of increase of their disposable income... people ARE greedy. It might be flaw, but it is human nature. (Hey, if you offer me a shiny, new laptop I will not refuse it!)

At the same time I dare saying that it is a human thing rather than a system of values. And you have more or less conscious people aware of the greed and they intentionally change their lifestyle away from it. Flower-power in 68 was not ALL about the Vietnam war. And all those New Age people today, spreading amount of organisations like Christian Aid, Save the Children etc....
online_again
07.03.2003 - 10:49
So people are aware of greed causing troubles. And people can try to drown in greed, but disposable income does increase. Where do you spend it? You buy stuff or you go travelling. Most likely you spend in on yourself, and most likely you would even if corporations did not ask you to.

Anyway, there are people not following the materialistic flow, but there are not many of them. As mentioned there is an increasing amount of people becoming aware of all of this... so even if they buy some new goods (because they have higher disposable incomes too), they won't place the same value on it as the apathetic-sun-reading guys that sincerely believe that Gillette will make you feel better.

I am proably just as greedy as anyone else. But I still don't consider myself to be that much of a capitalist. I can sincerely do stuff for other people and orgnisations, the problem is that these things does not cost money: they cost time and effort.

Did this make anymore sense? It might not, and if so, sorry. But it was anyway an attempt to explain what I meant. I know what I mean, anyway...

And I don't make pies.
online_again
07.03.2003 - 10:50
Try to AVOID drowning in greed. Where is that edit button?
richard's user image
richard
07.03.2003 - 10:53
forum administrator
Aaah, I see what you mean, now! And yes, I agree with you; I wouldn't refuse a laptop either :o)

Who wants to move into the wilderness with me and start up a self-sustaining commune, which values and respects the environment by taking as little out of it as possible?

Thought not, just couldn't do without broadband, eh? :o)
Page: [1] [2] [3]

This discussion is now closed and you cannot add to it.

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net