Home Log In or Register Forums

How long would it take...?

Home > Forums > Religion And Philosophy > 'How long would it take...?'
'How long would it take...?'
Page: [1] [2]
arar's user image
arar
28.03.2003 - 07:46
Theoretical question - if all copies of the bible, both in print and digital form, were to one day utterly disappear, how many generations do you think it would take before Christianity would die out?
richard's user image
richard
28.03.2003 - 07:51
forum administrator
Uh-oh, sounds like we have a book burning nazi in the making...

Believe me, there are plenty of people who know the bible off by heart, so they would be able to reproduce it quite easily!
arar's user image
arar
28.03.2003 - 18:48
True... but what if they were all dead?

Scared yet? =)

Still, the bible is pretty huge to be memorized. I only asked the question because I wondered whether the "self-propagation" of religions is the only reason that they still exist - ie they contain no natural truths that can be derived from everyday life, and thus with the destruction of the original material, the entire theory is lost.
online_again's user image
online_again
28.03.2003 - 20:00

I do think that if all religions disappeared overnight, that new one would arise pretty soon.
People tend to find comfort in it. And even by removing the bible, you can't take their imagination and needs away.
deathjester's user image
deathjester
29.03.2003 - 14:17
forum administrator
You guys need to study the dead sea scrolls....

Religion will be politically banned according to the prophecies.... the prophecies which have again and again been far too close for comfort for most ordinary aetheists to accept without a shudder.

The time scale for the banning? After the 'UN' (yes, it predicted that) is bypasssed by the 1st and 3rd kingdoms (unnerving descriptions of these kingdoms and what they woudl do define them to be the UK and US) and goes to war...

Adds yet mre weight to the logical and statistical argument that out reality is in fact a creation, and that we are not part of original history.

But who created the creator ? Ah, thats where it all falls down. It's all too weird soemthign isnt quite right is it ?
nelson's user image
nelson
01.04.2003 - 06:27
forum administrator
DJ, are you drunk?

Since when were you given to the believe-the-ancient-prophecies-while-keeping-your-brain-in-pickle-sauce theories?

It wasn't the 1st of April when you posted that either...
richard's user image
richard
01.04.2003 - 10:17
forum administrator
Are these scrolls in any way linked to Nostradamus?

That guy ate my hamster.
deathjester's user image
deathjester
01.04.2003 - 15:04
forum administrator
lol, no not drunk.

I am becomming more and more disillusioned by the inability society has in general to seperate the concepts of faith, creation and belief systems though.

Plus the fact, there is LOT of freaky prophecy stuff out there. Im about as cynical as a 23 yr old can be, yet I find it rather unnerving to say the least.

Adds muchos credance to simulation theory, (so popularly bastardised by sci-fi for years, the latest instance beign the Matrix). But mountign evidence on a big pile to show that the probability of this reality being an artificial one and part of a chain of creations workign its way back up to 'original history' doesnt help all that much cos you get to the top of the tree and are still left with "ok, so who created the creator..?"

Like I said, this reality is just too weird. Logic says to me that the reason this stuff feels so 'weird' is becasue the model used to create this reality isnt capable of defining the concepts we need to encapsulate to understand the 'fact' of the matter.

As you can see, I have been reading a lot recently.

Before you scoff- note that I am 100% aetheistic and have been for about 10 years, plus that fact the the mathematical probabilities of whether this is 'original history' show that its multi-squillions to 1. Anyone here familiar with the game, "The Sims?"

richard's user image
richard
01.04.2003 - 19:23
forum administrator
Stephen Baxter has some very similar theories on the 'chain of creations' thing you just mentioned. In his excellent book, Time (Space is another one in the fabulous series), he goes on to explain that this current universe is just one of a vast multitude. Each universe starts off with it's own Big Bang, then ends with a Big Crunch. Each instance of these universes have their own laws of physics and physical constants and are 'evolving' by spawning new universes at the end of their life.

Would certainly recommend his books!
online_again's user image
online_again
02.04.2003 - 10:19
Wow... see, now my mind is wondering off to a universe with different laws of physics. That would just be facinating!
Page: [1] [2]

This discussion is now closed and you cannot add to it.

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net