Home Log In or Register Forums

Altruism?

'Altruism?'
Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]
deathjester's user image
deathjester
03.07.2003 - 12:22
forum administrator
Can anybody give me an example of a truely altruistic act? I don't believe its possible.

(previous issues of free-will nowithstanding, else there wouldnt be much point talking ;) ..not that that matters cos i probably have no choice in the matter anyway... :D AND NEITHER DO YOU muhahahahahah)
richard's user image
richard
03.07.2003 - 15:01
forum administrator
I can't.

I think everyone will try and benefit from good deeds. After all, doesn't it make you feel good? Therefore, you're getting a benefit from doing a good deed, i.e. increased ego.
nelson's user image
nelson
04.07.2003 - 07:33
forum administrator
I think it's a problem in the definition of "altruism". As in oh-so-many other things human, it only works as a relative concept, not an absolute one.

So live with it!
arar's user image
arar
04.07.2003 - 14:21
With the definition of altruism, is the emphasis on the good effect provided by the action, or the detrimental effect upon the individual performing said action?

Otherwise, (as in Jurassic Park) when an individual from a group of female frogs spontaneously changes sex to a male in order that the group can reproduce, that could be considered altruistic, but only where the emphasis is upon the beneficial effect, as opposed to the (relatively) detrimental effect upon the individual. (Not that I'd wish upon any of my friends to spontaneously change sex, which I would consider a little traumatic.)
online_again's user image
online_again
04.07.2003 - 16:30
Altruistic act?

Someone needs a heart transplant. You kill yourself to give them your heart.

At least you won't benefit...
online_again
04.07.2003 - 16:32
on another level, I think it is dangerous to say that all acts are pushed by egoism: that makes it way to easy for people not to care.

Seriously, I have been told that the only reason you have humanitarian organisations are because the members feel good by doing something, and although yes, they might feel they are doing something good, it is not the only drive. I mean, if it came down to only feeling good about yourself, you migh as well go and see a film you enjoy.
online_again
04.07.2003 - 16:33
and Kantianism sucks anyway
deathjester's user image
deathjester
04.07.2003 - 19:03
forum administrator
...and u feel justified in doing this because it isnt just egoism? Oh good. FOr a secodn there i thought u were advocating that soemthign can be altruistic ;)

And ffs ric why is it u alwasy agree with me. I ask that u vehrmently disagree with the points i make in my next thread.
online_again
04.07.2003 - 20:29

BUT I do think you should separate between the ego, the super ego and what-ever-the-other-stage-was-called if you look at everything being driven by egoism.

And also: the relationship between the word "selfishness" and "egoism" might be worth defining, especially when altruistic acts might seen as an ego boost.
deathjester's user image
deathjester
05.07.2003 - 13:29
forum administrator
meh..

they r just models.

besides, the biology of it is very supportive- "look after thyself for survival is goooood mmkay".
Page: [1] [2] [3] [4]

You must log in to post messages on this board. If you don't have a username and password, you can register quickly to get them!

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net