Home Log In or Register Forums

Psychologically-philosophically...

Home > Forums > Religion And Philosophy > 'Psychologically-philosophically...'
'Psychologically-philosophically...'
Page: [1] [2] [3]
online_again's user image
online_again
22.01.2004 - 18:45

While certain preferences are shaped by culture and upbringing, etc, others are not. Now, i am not talking about things you can know by reading.

Why are some and not others prefernces shaped by your environment and education?

And those which aren't, where do they come from? (rollercoaster rides (I find them dreadful, my sister loves them and went to one with six loops)... sense of humour (to a degree)... favourite colours... fetiches... how do you explain these?)
online_again
22.01.2004 - 18:45
and why do I not study psychology?
deathjester's user image
deathjester
22.01.2004 - 20:12
forum administrator
yesss, these characteristics are the harder ones to attribute reasons to.

Taste in food has always been an odd one.

Why do I not like peas?

There's no darwinian fitness issue- they are GOOD for me. In fact it is a disadvantageg to not like them.

Or maybe I am allergic (loose sense of the word) to soem properties of peas and in fact i 'sniff' that out to avoid harming myself?

Is it becasue the people i dislike most eat peas?

How the hell do you go about isolating variables for this stuff?
online_again
22.01.2004 - 20:58
I don't know. I asked YOU people. (And I don't like peas either and I know I am not allergic)
arar's user image
arar
22.01.2004 - 23:10
Psychology is a fantastic subject. I try to psychoanalyse people all the time, and if I get really drunk and depresed I psychoanalyse myself and all the relationships I ever had. Thats not so healthy tho imo.

Either way, do u really wanna quit ur course now and do psychology? Wish I did psychology... computing is a bit boring...
deathjester's user image
deathjester
23.01.2004 - 13:59
forum administrator
im not so sure this is necessarily a psychologcal thing.

babies have preferences before they have a psyche.
online_again
23.01.2004 - 14:15
Arar: NO I am not quitting my course: i happen to find my course really interesting too. I have, however, studied some psychology before going to the Uk and there is no reason why I can't do more of it later in life. And it is very easy to psychoanalyse people wrongly, especially yourself and especially when drunk.

Else: When will you say we get a psyche? Isn't that a gradual thing? And it changes. Just like preferences changes. It might not be psychology, but I don't see what other science it would go under? Supposedly psychology is the study of human behaviour. If not there, then where does prefrences come from? (Please don't say astrology; I might shoot you if you do)
richard's user image
richard
23.01.2004 - 16:57
forum administrator
I think preferences are created by a number of different things.

Firstly there's the obvious Darwinian one where if something is good for you, then you naturally enjoy it. (sex, food, etc.)

Secondly it is based on past experiences. Many people who dislike certain foods might have had food poisoning at a similar time of eating new foods and from that point on they don't like it. In my experience, I went off Jack Daniels for ages due to a particular evening of over-indulgence, and had to 'wean' my body back to liking it again. Still don't like it quite as much as I used to. Even some flavours of Coke remind me of JD and I can't drink them either!

Other reasons for not liking particular foods might be a subconcious association with something else that you don't like. Can't think of an example for this one, but I'm sure there are plenty.
arar's user image
arar
23.01.2004 - 17:33
In psychology there are two main strains of thought the are profound throught everything that happens in life - its called the great nature or nurture debate.

You're intelligent guys! My GCSE psychology book talks about three chapters about this, but its so simple surely from the title you can guess what its about! I certainly did! And I'm not about to write bloody hundreds of papges about it now. My point is made.
deathjester's user image
deathjester
24.01.2004 - 00:00
forum administrator
erm.

craig for the love of all that is shiny and pointy, go fall on soemthing sharp & barbed
Page: [1] [2] [3]

You must log in to post messages on this board. If you don't have a username and password, you can register quickly to get them!

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net