'Giant electromagnets to moor ships'
Page: [1]
nelson's user image
nelson
21.01.2003 - 07:49
forum administrator
Now, that's something interesting...

Full article

Although I think they could simply build the electromagnets on vertically floating blocks that run on fixed poles on the dock.
richard's user image
richard
21.01.2003 - 14:21
forum administrator
Yeah, I saw that one too. It's a good idea, but have they thought about what will happen as the tide goes up and down? Won't the magnets get ripped from the dock walls?!
deathjester's user image
deathjester
21.01.2003 - 15:39
forum administrator
argh. electricity bill ????

the rather MASSIVE field i that area of space ?

im thinking dont carry any floppy disks with you.

soudns evilllll
nelson's user image
nelson
22.01.2003 - 07:55
forum administrator
Hehhe, no they sorted the field problem, DJ. The tide problem is fixed by "quickly deactivating and reactivating" the magnets several times per second, or something. Still, I think they could put the magnets in blocks that slide on vertical pilons... Will make a drawing if anyone doesn't get it...
richard's user image
richard
22.01.2003 - 10:21
forum administrator
I get it, in fact I thought of that too. But saying that, the "quickly deactivating and reactivating" trick would be a neat solution too...
deathjester's user image
deathjester
22.01.2003 - 15:11
forum administrator
hmmm, im thinking rope. lots of rope. for three things:

1) to moor the ships

2) to tie u down over a very sharp set of spikes

3) to coil up into a seven tonne block labeled , "ARGH! stop over-engineering perfectly good solutions simply because you watch too much star trek (eg. ICQ, winamp and realplayer)" and subsequently drop onto your nethers from a very great height.
richard's user image
richard
22.01.2003 - 15:30
forum administrator
Hey, I happen to like Winamp! (although I haven't migrated above version 2, since 3 is taking the piss with regards to the engineering thingy)

What alternative do you use?
deathjester's user image
deathjester
30.01.2003 - 11:24
forum administrator
Yeah winamp 3 is an absolute bag o' hammers :(

2 is nice :)

ERm. IRC is best alternative to ICQ atm, although im keepign a very close eye out for a 'wonder-client' that can talk to all chat networks [surely soem geek is codign that up soemwhere].

Also, i recently d/l realoneplayer (the new realplayer) itsactually not that bad. u can turn LOTS of the crap off. Best one yet imho. PLus it comes as a discrete package rather than 56 .exes which ull never use cos winamp owns 90% of it.

Progress has been made in an area of IT..

/me feints and has embolism.
Page: [1]

This discussion is now closed and you cannot add to it.

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net