Bye-bye Columbia

Home > Forums > Science And Technology > 'Bye-bye Columbia'
'Bye-bye Columbia'
Page: [1] [2] [3]
richard's user image
richard
01.02.2003 - 15:06
forum administrator
I've just seen some very upsetting news; NASAs space shuttle Columbia exploded this morning when it was returning to Earth... link

My thoughts go out to all the crew and their families.

God alone knows what this will do to the Space Industry... do you think we will slip back into the dark ages, or get a new drive to excel in it?
nelson's user image
nelson
01.02.2003 - 15:32
forum administrator
Shoot.
Thanks for the news, however sad.

With all-good-things-o-phobic-Bush in power, I doubt this will mean anything good at all.
richard's user image
richard
01.02.2003 - 15:47
forum administrator
Who knows, though, he has recently given the go-ahead for nuclear propulsion rockets (not that I think they're a good idea, but it does show progress)...
deathjester's user image
deathjester
02.02.2003 - 17:53
forum administrator
aye tis bad news :(

i think we need to work on robotics first tbh. human cost is v v high. PLus robots are potentially better at expediting exo-atmospheric duties.

not liek we r in a rush to build an ark yet is it- if that were the case im sure id beign seeing lots of riots in the streets by the families of all the catholics and feminists we'd cram into it b4 accidentily settign course for a fairly large chunk of high-velocity space rock.

oh dear im digressign again.

SCHOOCHY
BOOCHY
NOOCHIES!!!
richard's user image
richard
02.02.2003 - 21:00
forum administrator
Ah, but when that asteroid hits us in 2033, we won't have much experience in building manned-spaceships, would we?

*I AM THE CLIT MASTER*
deathjester's user image
deathjester
03.02.2003 - 00:19
forum administrator
lol its

"CLIT COMMANDER"

you fool :)

i got the full set of clerks/mallrats/jay & silent bob if ne1 wants a copy :)
deathjester's user image
deathjester
03.02.2003 - 00:20
forum administrator
erm but back to the topic.

asteroid 2033.

ok dig a LOT of deep tunnel cos now way we can build an ark by then. we'd have had to have started 50 years ago, plus we're no way near stabel enough as a people.
richard's user image
richard
03.02.2003 - 07:15
forum administrator
Actually, he does say 'CLIT MASTER' at some point during his insane dialogue! I got the full set too on DVD. Clerks was only released on Region 0 about three weeks ago, much to my immense pleasure!

I think the only hope for the 2033 would be to send up the nukes. If the sci-bods work out the orbit properly, they should be able to intercept it many years before it gets to Earth (or prove that it won't hit). The earlier the better, because you would need less of a nudge to achieve the same effect.

Personally I think it would be cool to send up an automated unit which, depending on the type of asteroid it is, would either manufacture rocket propellant in situ, or use a mass-driver to lob blocks of metal to slowly move the asteroid off-course.
deathjester's user image
deathjester
03.02.2003 - 16:20
forum administrator
aye, early detection plus mass dirvers are the way forward, courtesy of our robot freinds :)

this woudl in fact make asteriods comming our way USEFUL, cos we coudl nudge em into orbit and exploit them nicely, "thanks very much mother nature!" we woudl say as the planet killers hurtled towards us. (typically right wing xD - sign o' the time or what!?!?)

Early detection mmmmmmmm, thast the make it / break key i guess. Yet this is still redundant until we got decent tech'...
richard's user image
richard
21.02.2003 - 16:23
forum administrator
Yeay! It seems NASA are finally getting around to replacing the shuttle fleet: Report.

Page: [1] [2] [3]

This discussion is now closed and you cannot add to it.

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net