Home Log In or Register Forums

Biotechnology Activists: bias in activism/forums

Home > Forums > Science And Technology > 'Biotechnology Activists: bias in activism/forums'
'Biotechnology Activists: bias in activism/forums'
Page: [1] [2]
reggie5's user image
reggie5
13.06.2004 - 02:57
First the media started leaning in favor of stem cell research. Now the biologists are starting to promote it themselves. It turns out that such information has had a real impact on public opinion -- reportedly, 6 out of 10 Americans now support embryonic stem cell research.

Scientists are increasingly banding together in lobbying groups and now forums to push their ideas on the public and on legislators. What's worse, these forums are populated by pro-biotech individuals. Why don't anti-biotech people enter these scientists' debates and organizations? What we are getting is a skewed, biased view of the isues where opposing views are marginalized.
richard's user image
richard
13.06.2004 - 10:15
forum administrator
Well if you're anti-biotech, then surely you have the moral obligation to air your views on the subject? Everyone has the right to voice their opinions, so sign up to these forums and speak your mind!
nelson's user image
nelson
13.06.2004 - 11:10
forum administrator
What's wrong with stem cell research, anyway?
richard's user image
richard
13.06.2004 - 11:24
forum administrator
I think the distaste 'stems' (sorry!!) from the 'embryonic' part, i.e. you take a fertilised embryo and use it to make stem cells. Pro-lifers would quite obviously have a problem with this!
deathjester's user image
deathjester
14.06.2004 - 22:17
forum administrator
There's a new method for harvesting stem cells.
It's about a year off, but then the pro-lifers can just S T F U.
I'm vague on details- it was a Radio 4 digression during Melvin Bragg's show about a month ago.
arar's user image
arar
14.06.2004 - 23:04
Bet all the pro-lifers are catholic
nelson's user image
nelson
15.06.2004 - 12:20
forum administrator
Or British.

(sorry, that comment from Arar is just too stupid to contemplate a decent answer)
arar's user image
arar
15.06.2004 - 21:19
Hmm well anyway, I was thinking of quoting from Monty Python actually... as in "Every sperm is sacred", as opposed to some grand generalisation...
deathjester's user image
deathjester
16.06.2004 - 23:46
forum administrator
another thread fubar'd
nelson's user image
nelson
17.06.2004 - 09:00
forum administrator
It's a gift, Dj. Don't mock someone's gift.
Page: [1] [2]

You must log in to post messages on this board. If you don't have a username and password, you can register quickly to get them!

contact us © 2003, 2004 BurningHorizons.net